Uncategorized Archives - Impressed Blog
If you live anywhere North of the 37th parallel, you’ve probably noticed that all of your best family photos seem to stop when the frosty weather sets in. The reason is obvious: it’s just too darn cold to stand around taking photos in the winter. It doesn’t mean however that the light and moments are any less spectacular. Some photographers insist that a cloudy snowy day is the ideal light scenario because you don’t have to fight any shadows. To help you round out your photo collection across all 4 seasons, we have compiled our top 5 tips for keeping warm while taking more photos outside this winter:
(1) Gloves for taking photos with your smartphone. If you have to take off your mitten to operate your camera, you’ve already lost. Here are our picks for keeping your digits warm and functional.
Full coverage and bare touch: Scandanavian Texting Mittens
Cute but not for Canada: Touchy Texting Gloves by Etre
Full coverage and conductive touch: Precision Touch Glove by Columbia
(2) While shooting in the snow pick super bright winter accessories to make your photos really pop. Don’t be afraid of a little neon.
Chunky wool Felix Hat by Eugenia Kim
Ribbed Turban Headband by Eugenia Kim
(3) Snowsuits are cute on kids but not so cute on grownups (unless you’re in a ’70s James Bond movie and your name is Anya). You’ve already purchased your warm down anorak but don’t ignore your bottom half. These cold-weather pants are equally fashionable on the slopes and in the city.
Jes Racer Pant by Erin Snow (Yes, that’s really her name.)
(4) Warming yourself from the outside-in is one strategy, now let’s try the inside-out. Bring along a thermos or two on your photo shoot with hot chocolate or berry tea and you’ve just doubled your shoot time. The Japanese really do it best when it comes to the personal thermos. Here is our favourite:
(5) Finally, you don’t want your cold breath fogging up your viewfinder so wear a thin neck scroll or scarf to cover your mouth and to keep the polar wind at bay. If this one is good enough for the Swiss Alpines, it’s good enough for us.
Finally, don’t forget to stuff some tissues in your picket for runny noses! Do you have any cold weather photo taking tips?
We had to ask: how does this mother of two manage to keep her living room space simple, decluttered and so beautifully minimal. Below, Maartje lays out her system for all the stuff.
Say hello to Danielle Chassin, also known as @hippieindisguise: mama to the sweet Ro and Sen, iPhone photographer, and ambassador for slow, eco, minimal living.
This week, we are so grateful to have her share her tips on how she keeps that digital clutter of hers under control, while still capturing her family’s growing list of adventures. Read More
Meet this month’s inspiring customer: Sara, aka @saraspectrum. She describes her life well-lived as balancing work with time outdoors, a little adventure and slow mornings (with tea!), which is easy when your backyard is the gorgeous Pacific Northwest. Scrolling through Sara’s Instagram feed is like flipping through a lifestyle magazine and has got us inspired to add more of these elements to our own everyday. Read on as Sara tells us how she achieves such beautiful natural portraits and her tips for playing with light. Read More
Weekend project: make a cool string display to turn your photo prints into easy wall art
This simple string wall art DIY is ideal for bringing those photo prints and life’s meaningful mementos of yours out of hiding and into your everyday, right where you can see them.
Not long ago, we talked about how we wished there was a special Instagram shop, where one could stock-up on all things photo-worthy to accessorize your life. Since that place isn’t quite in existence yet, we’ve come up with the next best thing… a round-up of the most Instagrammable summer accessories sure to make for fun moments and photos (above and beyond last season’s quintessential pineapple).
Read on for the summer’s most Instagram-worthy accessories to up your sunny escapades… Read More
Meet this month’s stand-out customer: Agata, aka @passion_shake. We can’t stop (won’t stop!) scrolling through her blog. It’s just chock-full of wonderfully simple and minimalistic DIYs and interior inspiration for a happy living. Read on as she shares with us her tips for building out your gallery walls, the inside scoop from Milan Design Week and some serious eye candy courtesy of her blog Passion Shake. Read More